Tuesday, December 7, 2010

5 am and can't go back to sleep. I hate that. Thoughts, worries, stresses and concerns start to play with my mind and before I know it, I'm WIDE awake...longing for heavy eyes and soft pillows.
But, might as well take advantage of this opportunity to write.
Except that there isn't much to say.
My kids are doing well. So far avoiding sickness and seem to be fairly happy most days. Connor is completely potty trained at home, and starting Sunday, we will see how he does in the car, church, shopping etc. It's awesome! Funny though how the sound of the toilet flushing makes it seem like another adult is in the house. :) Sophie is walking everywhere and trying to talk so much more than C did at this age. I love having a boy and girl. They love each other so much and it just makes my heart do flip flops. Of course there is fighting, hitting, screaming, and so on, but in those moments they don't think I see, it's priceless.
My husband is finishing up his last year at school and it can't come soon enough. (for him and I). It's a bit more intense this year and I just want it to be over for him. It certainly makes for interesting choices in Christmas giving when your income is cut down to half, but I'm sure that we will make it work. If we have to "do" Christmas in January, it really doesn't matter to me. My kids are not old enough to care, and personally, it's all about the food with me. :)
There have been so many conversations lately about how to make holidays centered around God and the real story behind the merriment. I think doing what you feel matters within your own family is important. I think having a healthy balance between fun and serious is equally important. I think allowing our children to think of Santa as a "fun, Christmas figure" is ok! It's part of the magic of Christmas. My kids will always know and understand that the reason we celebrate is firstmost Jesus. I have many things that I'm excited to do in years to come to open their eyes to the true reason for the..."season" (couldn't resist) ; but I hope I'm able to do that AS WELL as giving them fun, and putting out cookies for Santa and watching Frosty and Rudolph. I want them to experience the fun of giving gifts and watching reactions. Quality time spent with family and silly traditions. Of course at the heart, will always be Jesus. I say "always" because why is it that at holidays we suddenly panic and need these ordinary days to MEAN more to our kids? Jesus should be there everyday...whenever they have a question, or struggle or victory - there is Jesus!
Some of my friends are doing Christmas differently this year. I love it! Make it your own...tradition is great because it's so personal. No one can say what is right or wrong, it's what works for your family. I look forward to hearing how their days go and if what they decided will carry on in years to come.
For us, Christmas holds a few new things this year. The exchange of pajamas on Christmas Eve after our church service. The reading of the Christmas story - first from a book on the kids level, then from the Bible. (I want to do different versions every year). Just the 4 of us Christmas morning opening gifts, playing with toys and sharing in laughter and delight. Then off to spend time with loved ones and friends and amazing holiday feasting. But in those days of yuletide and good cheer, amidst the wrapping and boxes and ribbons, hovering above the candles, twinkly lights and garlands - may there always be Jesus!

I wish you all a Happy Christmas - whatever that looks like to you - this year.

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to take this time to say that no matter how stressful life can become, you are fabulous! No matter how much more money seems to be going out than coming in, you are an amazing woman! No matter how hard life feels at times, you are loved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the tradition of new pajamas on Christmas Eve. And Jess, if you or Dave drew my name, don't even worry about a gift...please!!! Food and time spent with you is the best gift, really, it is, no matter how cheesy that sounds.

    Love you and can't wait to see you - 15 sleeps!

    ReplyDelete