Thursday, April 22, 2010

Bugs

I'm an animal person. I don't like to see animals that are unhappy or being mistreated. Can't usually watch nature shows because I empathize with mothers and babies that are separated or eaten...it's so sad.
However, I feel absolutely nothing when I kill a fly...or a wasp...or a mosquito...or a spider. In fact today it probably would have been comical to watch me stalking around my house, flyswatter in hand-on the prowl for the one lonely fly who made the unfortunate decision of coming into my house. I can't stand them! Their buzzing around a window or over your head...
The amazing thing is that although my love for the animals of this world is a pretty big deal in my life, I get an amazing satisfaction from killing something that is so small, yet so irritating. I know that God has some kind of purpose for these bugs, but a mosquito? Really? Perhaps before the "fall of man" these bugs coexisted with us very naturally and wonderfully...perhaps in heaven they will again, but right now they are invading my sanctuary...and they must be stopped!
To accomplish this though I'm looking for some healthy remedies for stopping this impending attack. Any tips or comments you can leave to encourage this insect genocide would be greatly appreciated.
(especially the bees and spiders....yuk!)

5 comments:

  1. first off, let me say, your Mama is right, you ARE a gifted writer. :)

    secondly... just keep on stalking and swatting.. get out any pent up frustration on the little bug-gers. :) i think that's why they were created, honestly. :)

    now.. if you know how to keep Starlings from nesting all around your house.. THIS I would like to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a horrible plague of flies a few summers ago. It was DISGUSTING! They kept coming in the house and there were tons of them buzzing around. Grrrrrr!!! Anyway, somebody recommended a "fly trap" to me and they really work, but you have to have a big enough yard that you don't mind hanging a stinking fly trap somewhere in it, because they really do get very stinky. I don't know where you'd get one where you live, but I got mine at TSC. It's sort of like a plastic bag with some rotting stuff in it. You add water and hang it up outside and the flies are attracted to it so they leave your house alone. And then they get trapped in the bag and die in the water. And everyone else lives happily ever after. The End. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading up on this and see that a common prevention technique is actually a ziploc bag, half-filled with water, and suspended above doorways in the house. Something about the light hitting the ever-moving water is rather unnerving for the culprits. And, if it doesn't work, you can pass it off as really unique art..?

    That said, I agree with Amy, sometimes it's nice having a reason to swat things...key word things, not people!

    Awesome blog, Jess...love the way you write!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok Beth... that just sounds like water bombs.. what is going to keep those water bags up there, and not landing on someone walking through the doorway??

    "oh honey.. that wasn't booby-trapped for you.. i was trying to scare off the bugs...really, honestly"

    too funny!

    ReplyDelete