Monday, April 12, 2010

updates...

I'm not too sure what to write about today...maybe that means I shouldn't be writing, but just felt the itch this morning.
Hmm...things in my life lately have been great! My kids are lovely and for the most part, well behaved(we are working on it). Dave is back at work and although I miss him during the day, it just seems better to have a "routine" again if you will. My mind seems to be slowing down in regards to the paranoia I spoke about earlier. It definitely makes it easier to live day to day without the craziness of my imagination.
Summer is fast approaching and though I'm excited for the warm weather, it also brings some sadness as I have to say goodbye to 3 friends that are moving on. They will be so missed as each of them is such a pillar of kindness, wisdom and joy. I'm happy for them in this new transition though and wish them all the best. It does make me wish it was our turn, but I know it is not the right time yet...oh this little town has so many reasons to stay!
We've been reading two books lately. Love and Respect and Stuff Christians Like. The first is a marriage book that breaks down how women need to feel love from their husbands, and men want respect from their wives. We are finding it very insightful and picking up on some ways to improve our marriage (not that it is bad, just everyone can use a little touch up right?). The second is very different. Jonathan Acuff is sarcastic and humorous in his discussion of the Christian faith and things that we all do, but maybe don't talk about. Some of his chapter titles for example are:
Finding Typos in the Worship Music
Disguising Gossip as Prayer
Subtly Finding Out if you Drink Beer Too, and
Being Slightly Offended that the Pastor has a Nicer Car Than You Do.
Don't get me wrong; he is not dissing or insulting Christians at all, but simply putting a humorous light on some things we may need to "check" ourselves on. It has made Dave and I laugh out loud and also feel convicted at the same time..."sometimes the stuff that comes with faith is funny". Great book!
Would love to go for a walk today, but it is supposed to rain, so maybe a baking day in the house would be more beneficial! :)

1 comment:

  1. I always feel like a creeper when I read people's blogs! haha. But I just got the book "Stuff Christians Like" too. It was funny but I think I liked Matthew Paul Turner's book "The Christian Culture Survival Guide" better. It is kind of in the same category. I kind of grew tired of Jon Acuff by the time I got to the end because he was almost too sarcastic. I think I could only take him in small doses.

    ReplyDelete