Saturday, March 26, 2011

Bittersweet

It changes from minute to minute - hour to hour - day to day.

Excited. Fearful.
Happy. Sad.
Encouraged. Discouraged.
Expectant. Anxious.

I've moved alot during my life and each time was filled with adjustment and hurt. Leaving behind friends, family and memories is hard for everyone, but it seems to affect children on a different level. Potty training, sleeping through the night - these things seem to go out the window...perhaps a way of dealing with something new. But each time we moved, I grew stronger. More secure that I could start over, meet new friends and make a "new life" wherever we were.
I've always been fine with the thought that "I will go where my husband goes/lives". It's been my feeling that as a couple we would decide if/when a move would be right for our family. And the decision would be made together - unified in our final conclusion.
Well the time has come. For awhile now it has been pretty common knowledge that we are ready to move on in terms of location and job opportunity for Dave. The "when" has been postponed many times for lack of finances, time and faith. We just haven't been able to get it all right.
And then we did - HE did. He opened some doors (and though some still remain to be opened) and we are moving May 1!
It's crazy because it is going to come fast and there is much to do. And though my emotions flip-flop depending on the day, I am really excited to be starting a new chapter. Excited for our family and how we will bond together through this experience.
But - how do I say goodbye AGAIN? So many loved ones here...so much support and strength come from friends I have in this small little town. Some I have known since moving here - some I have recently become close with. This part is the part that sucks. The question is always, "Who will I stay in touch with? Who can I phone when I'm feeling lonely? Who will come visit?". I think I know the answers now, but only time will tell.
I will grow apart from some - some I already have(and we live so close!); but my hope is that we will still be remembered in prayer and love as we leave this "homebase" and branch out on our own. I can't imagine a more perfect place to raise a family - and yet, our hearts are already elsewhere.
Praying God blesses this journey and we are continually reminded that our decision was thought out, rational and part of His major plan.

5 comments:

  1. I am sad and excited for you but you are right= life- no matter where you live- brings certain friends forever and certain friends just for a teaching time for both. You will and have been thought of, prayed for, and enjoyed in memory ( even though we live in the same town and never see each other.) But Don't feel bad about that- I love you and the time we had. Sometimes it is for but a moment and a lot depends on ages of children or stages in family life.
    You are a fun friend to have- I pray God blesses you with many new bonds ( both temporary and permanent:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you guys, that you get this new amazing experience and you get to be in a city once more. It's wonderful that David has a job and a career there, much better than anything this little old town has to offer. I'm glad you'll be closer to your folks.
    While I feel all of this, I'm saddened to see you leave and take the oh so adorable Conner & Sophie with you..who will make me smile at work now? I will miss knowing you're just a few blocks away if I need your encouragement or to just relax with you and the kiddos. I will really miss seeing your little one on the way and meeting him/her, and watching all three of your children grow up. It feels like everyone in this town is moving away and I'm losing so many of my dear friends. I know we don't get to see each other as much as I would like, I've valued the amount of times we have been able to talk. There are ways you've helped me heal that I can't count right now, you are a wonderful person with a beautiful soul and I hope we'll stay in touch long after we've both moved from this town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you as you prepare for this move! Just before we left, two people gave me Deut. 31:8...and I pray you see the evidence of God going before you during this transition. I know you will be missed:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. excited for you, Jess.. and for your family as a whole.. a new home for your growing family, closer to your parents and brother.. all very cool. I've never moved further than 15 minutes from where I grew up.. so i have NOOO idea. I'm sure you've formed some tight bonds these past few years in 3 Hills.

    Remember the silver/gold song re: friends. And that God is with you no matter where you go. xoxooxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI!!!
    I did't know this site existed! So happy to find it!
    I can really related to much of what you're feeling and experiencing. There's no way around: moving is tough. Tough tough tough! But so are you. You're one tough gorgeous gal, and you're going to pull this off splendidly! And, for a wee bit at least, we'll be just a short drive from each other. Chalk me up as one of those who WILL visit! :)
    Thinking of you and wishing you well... :)

    ReplyDelete