Saturday, March 12, 2011

Updates and reflections...



What was supposed to be a two-day job, turned into a week in Edmonton. Not only just there, but with my parents in their lovely big house with lots of space for the rug rats. They were so gracious and kind to allow us to stay longer than we thought, and we all (esp. the kids) enjoyed our lengthy visit with them.
It's interesting that bond between parents and children. Interesting that it can morph into friendship over "disciplinarian" or "authority". I like that. I like that I actually miss talking with my mom and hearing my dad preach, because I learn from them! Not only that, but we are able to joke and have fun together as well - who would've thought? lol...
And they are encouraging. When I have a hard day at home, I know I can always call and vent, or cry or complain, and they listen - then encourage.
Even at 27, they remain my comfort and security to know "Am I doing ok? Have I screwed up your granchildren? Will they need therapy?". It's nice. I love them. :)


And now for some updates on the aforementioned wee ones.




- In Edmonton, Connor showed some bravery, independence and free spirit when he CHOSE to do 2 rides at Galaxyland all by himself! He was fantastic and I couldn't help but feel proud that while atop his "big boy" motorcycle, he could clearly be heard yelling "Hurray! Huzzah Mommy! So fun!". My big boy.( Cut to flashforward of my seeing him go to school with cute backpack and lunch pail and this pregnant mama was holding back the tears...where did time go again?)
- Painting is his new love and often our pastime these last weeks of unbearably long winter.
- LOVES "Chitty, Chitty, Bang Bang!" and wants to constantly sing "Toot sweet" and "Truly Scrumptious".
- I'm teaching him more beats on his drums and I have to say, this boy has skill. He can drum (or clap) along with most songs and add his own rhythmn. Its amazing. Perhaps he will set me up with a cushy retirement plan when he makes it big with a drumming career.


- Sophie is not only fiercely dramatic, but quite the nurturer as well. She has taken on the job of equipping first herself, and then Connor with blanket and juice cups all day....even when Connor doesn`t want either...even when he says `Not now Soph`...she faithfully(and patiently) waits for him to realize `hmm...actually, I could have a drink` and there she is - beaming and ready to serve her big brother.
- She now says `hiiii`about 85 times a day and whenever she passes a tv. (She has also recently added `ba pa`(Papa) and `noooo` into her vocab.
- Her hair is long enough to put in pig tails and pony`s, but still wispy enough that she has some balder patches and tufts coming this way and that - but it`s too adorable!
- She loves to take all the Tupperware out of the drawer, and then very carefully put it all back in. (and I mean, I`m not sure where she gets this `clean up`attitude...must skip a generation!




They love to chase each other, wrestle and play hide-n-seek...their giggles make my day!




-




-

5 comments:

  1. I love this post, and love your kids! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the update. your children are just so beautiful. I know what you are talking about in regards to your parents... it's so fun being friends with them.

    miss you and love seeing glimpses of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness- she is so beautiful! Such a good mix of both of you. Connor still looks like Dave:) The cutie pie. ( I guess following that sentence it sound funny- ha ha- no one has ever said I was socially eloquent:) Wink.
    Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the update, feels like forever since I caught up with you!! Those two are growing up so fast, I can't believe where the time has gone..

    ReplyDelete