Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Survival...

It's an hour before hubby gets home.
And something changes in my house.
Somehow they know, or sense that I need to start supper. That I need to leave them and be in the kitchen. It's as if they save up all their bad behaviour and discontentment to use at this time...
One hour. You can handle anything for an hour right?
But it stretches on and the minutes drag by...

Complaining, whining...
"Mommy just needs a minute...she's making supper YUM!"
Wailing...screaming...hanging on whatever piecs of your body they can...
"I just need to get this ready sweetie, can you give Mommy a minute? Daddy will be home soon!"
Sob stricken, the child is now lying on the floor...devastated and feeling utterly un-loved by the busy Mom.

Is it like this for anyone else?
That final hour where my children turn into "things" that I don't recognize? Or like?

I refer to it as "survival of the fittest". Well, survival anyway.
Some days are better. Some days I have more patience and so do they. Some days I have a casserole or something that doesn't require constant attention.
THIS was NOT today!
And my hubby can see it immediately when he walks in. Exhaustion. Frustration. Anger. Failure
sigh...

there's gotta be a way to turn back their clocks somehow...

3 comments:

  1. I hear ya. I find it helps to give a 4:30 snack and movie. And they do grow out of it. Now my kids just fight more and whine around that time- but its not as desperate as it was shortly ago. Some days as soon as P walked through the door- I marched to my bedroom, shut the door and ran the tub water. He knew I needed an hour to recharge my over extended brain. it was just sometimes mentally exhausting. A protein snack with short movie really does help a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kmarie is a smart cookie. :)

    My sisters called this "arsenic hour". You are not alone. It's a very real phenomenon.

    do you remember as a kid and teen.. coming home from school absolutely FAMISHED?? it's been a long time since lunch. i know you don't want to ruin their dinner.. but they are ruining yours with their tired low blood sugar..

    take care of you.. much love, you are a fabulous mom... do you know that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. HMMMM....my kids are monsters all day and right before daddy gets home they turn into these little angels and daddy doesn't understand why I look like a truck hit me when he gets home lol well not always but yeah your a great mom keep your chin up :)

    OH YEAH!! I forgot my friend told me this and it is WONDERFUL!! when your cooking (or dishes or whatever) stick Sophie in the highchair and Connor at the table give them each playdough, cookie cutters, spoons, and anything else they can "cook" with and let them play. It's a pretty fast clean up and it keeps them intertained while you work. I tell my Sophia to make me cookies she just loves it!

    ReplyDelete