Monday, February 14, 2011

It's LOVE day!

I have not always been a Valentine's fan. It used to (and still does) bother me that prices to eat out on this Day are jacked, men are pressured to break the bank to please the "everyday" woman and women are expected to be uncomfortable in something new and "sexy" for the sake of the special Day.

One day.
Can you imagine basing how much someone loves you on just one day?
Or measuring love by the price of the gift, dinner or memory?

The great thing about being married on such a day, is that it's not about just ONE Day! It's about them all. I know many of our friends could never afford to give their wives diamonds or pearls - but they want too..not because there is an expectation, but rather they feel this is what their women deserve! Just knowing my husband WOULD if he COULD is enough for me on Valentine's Day. He shows me every day that he loves, admires and cherishes me and this Day is just a reminder of how lucky I am!
Of course it's nice to exchange something on such a day, but we generally have kept it to dessert and cards or letters. Something rich, gooey, and very bad for you goes extremely well with a note written with love by someone who sees me all the time and for some reason, still loves me!
So on this Day I am choosing to not get caught up with the world's view - but rather when the house is quiet, and it's just us, we'll light some candles, make some coffee and snuggle up to eat our treats and treasure each other for one more Day.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, and I think how you view Valentine's Day is what love is really about. It's not expecting the other person to find something that defines your relationship and that is expensive and more for showing off to others than anything else. It's about loving that person and enjoying the life you have together, not just making pretty statements one day a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill was locked in at work.. and not home for Vday this year. My sweetheart hid a giftbag with a box of my favourite tea and a card in his office at home.. and texted me where to look.. then again that night he texted me to go look in a drawer.. where he had hidden another card.

    Just the thought and effort he put into something very inexpensive.. but so thoughtful.. was wonderful. Expensive dinners and gifts don't make you feel loved or valued.. having someone show they care, they think about you.. expresses it so much more.

    we are blessed women. :)

    ReplyDelete